Power, Praxis, and Playing with the Posts
We would be pleased to have you to join us for the third biennial AAEE Research Symposium to be held at the Gold Coast QLD on Sunday, 21 October, 2018.
This symposium will provide the space and opportunity for robust discussion, capacity building, and networking for those interested in research related to the intersections between environment, sustainability and education.
The key purpose of the Research Symposium is to deliver a high quality, interactive, inclusive, conversation-driven event that contributes to the development and growth of the environmental and sustainability education research communities in Australasia.
Who might participate?
The Symposium invites early-career to senior academics, higher degree research students, community researchers, and practitioners who are interested in research from Australasia and further afield. Indigenous, young, and other scholars from the margins are particularly encouraged to attend and act as conversation convenors.
What can you expect from the event?
The Research Symposium encourages and facilitates scholarly conversations about research, research development, research uptake, and research challenges for those interested in the intersections between environment, sustainability, and education. In line with the values of the Symposium, conversations will be deliberate, exploratory, creative, collegial and critical, where co-convenors and participants are both enabled and expected to discuss multiple perspectives on a theme.
The Research Symposium has been designed with the following values in mind:
- commitment to open inquiry and reflexivity
- critical sensitivity to research, its development and challenges
- non-hierarchical and participatory formats for sessions taking place at the event
- emphasis on interactions that are nurturing, in good humour, and ‘ego-free’
- anticipation of generosity and collegiality towards others and their scholarship
- inclusivity for those with a genuine interest in developing environmental and sustainability education research.
This year’s theme: “Power, Praxis, and Playing with the Posts”
The success of the Research Symposium depends on active engagement and participation from all attendees. Rather than traditional presentations, the event will see an exchange of ideas though interactive conversations such as fishbowls, roundtables, and learning conversations. If you are interested in co-leading a conversation at the Research Symposium, please go to the Program tab of the AAEE Conference website to submit your Expression of Interest.
Symposium conversations will explore the theme in relation to three core sub-themes:
Power: Research Impact and Power
- What does it mean to measure impact of research?
- How do we know if our research makes a difference?
- What counts as ‘impactful research’ and who says?
Praxis: Building capacity in research theory and practice
- What are we good at and what areas do we need to improve?
- How can we support transdisciplinary or interdisciplinary research?
- How can we support more research from indigenous/people of colour/women/young researchers?
- What does meaningful collaboration look like and how do we do more of it?
Playing with the “Posts”:
- How does environmental education/sustainability research meaningfully employ the ‘posts’ (posthumanist/postcolonialist/poststructuralist/postfeminist etc.) theories and methods ?
- What is the role of research in a post-truth world?
- What are the implications from the current geo-political climate and claims on truth for environmental and sustainability education research?
The Research Symposium is an AAEE initiative, directed by an AAEE Organising Committee with representatives from a range of States and research institutions. The Research Symposium draws on AAEE’s wider support for inquiry via the Association’s Research SIG and Journal.
The Research Symposium will take place on Sunday, 21 October, 2018, from 10:00am – 5:00pm. The event will be hosted by Southern Cross University at the Gold Coast and precedes the 2018 AAEE biennial conference being held at the Gold Coast from 22-25th October.
Please arrive around 9:30am for a 10am start. Refreshments and lunch will be provided, please bring drink bottles and reusable coffee cups if you have them. Further communication about informal pre-events will be circulated closer to the date.
$60 – covers symposium costs plus food.
All participants must register for the Research Symposium via the AAEE Conference website:
For further information or questions about the research symposium, please contact the Organising Committee facilitators for this event:
Research Symposium Submissions
For information on submitting an Expression of Interest to be included in the Research Symposium Program, please click on the button below.
Register for the Research Symposium
To register for the Research Symposium, please click on the button below.